south narrabeen slsc 1922 - 2017
The sporting newspaper Arrow [23 February 1923 p 12] records that:
A new club has been formed at Narrabeen, and affiliation has been granted, the new body applied for registration as Narrabeen Surf Life Saving Club but North Narrabeen Club, which has been in existence for over twelve years, lodged an objection to the new club taking the name Narrabeen. The new club has decided to accede to the request of the older body and call itself South Narrabeen. The colours of the infant club will be royal blue costume with an inch white bar, three inch emerald bar, and an inch white bar.
After initial deliberations, the surf sheds at Devitt St, Narrabeen were ruled out as a place for the club buildings. A Committee was formed under the leadership of E. Cox and the Progress Association was approached for assistance. Mr Ike Larkin, President of the Association assisted with the development of the Club. Land was donated to the Club and a new Clubhouse eventually erected.
In its first years, South Narrabeen was publicly and affectionately know as the new club ‘the baby club of the metropolis’ [arrow 16 march 1923, p 7] but members lost no time in becoming a part of the surf life saving community. Patrols established a safe zone on the beach and a march past team made its first appearance in the State Championships at Manly on 3 March 1923.